Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Report from the Air Part 3

Wow it is late (or early afternoon depending on how you look at it). The cabin is completely dark and I’d say 85% of the people are sleeping. There is a large man one row behind me that has been snoring non-stop for four hours. I wish I could sleep for four hours! Actually, I hear snoring all over the cabin. It is pretty comical. Nobody is talking in their sleep as far as I can tell but I’m sure someone will yell “the British are coming” soon.

We are two hours outside of Tokyo. It looks like we are about to start flying over the northern islands of Japan. From the air, Siberia looked exactly how I would have imagined it. Ice and penguins. Ok, I couldn’t see any penguins but I know those sneaky little bastards were down there somewhere. ;)

The seats have a massaging lumbar support. It works great on my back, but I fell asleep and turned on my side. I awoke to what felt like someone rubbing my belly. Let’s just say I was sufficiently freaked out.

I found out an interesting fact in the book I am reading. A woman cannot get pregnant from kissing a man while wearing a wet bathing suit. This was the old wives’ tale I was trying to think of, but I somehow through a tractor into the mix in my version. J

I stopped watching movies. No Sisterhood of the Traveling pants for me. My return flight actually has some movies I would like to see (or at least would never pay to rent but since they are on, what the hell…). Always thinking about what’s next. Yup, that’s me.

The plane is about 80% “American” (or at least they look American to me). The funny thing is that not many of them are staying in Tokyo. After 13 hours they have to catch a connector to somewhere else. That would suck! “How does he know this” you may ask yourself? I had to fill out some kind of visitation card. Name, passport number, country of origin. The funniest part of filling it out was the question “Are you carrying any narcotics with you? Cocaine, Heroin, Opiates, etc.”. I wonder if anyone answers yes?

I was reading an article about Apple and how they innovate. I could draw some comparisons between the way we work and the way Steve Jobs runs Apple. Now I’m not saying we’re as clever as the “Pirates of Silicon Valley”, but when designing new technology, they bounce it around. The designers email the engineers, the engineers talk to the software developers and slowly but surely the concept gets tighter and tighter as they bounce it back and forth until it pops out as a product. Interesting.

One last rambling and then I am done (we’re passing over Sapporo, Japan right now). The guy sitting next to me (who seems to be a nice man) has spent the last 20 minutes lubing up his bare feet. The act of putting lotion on one’s feet in itself is not gross, but when I am 1 ½ away and can smell nothing but lotion, it’s kind of gross. Boy is he rubbing that stuff in right now! Whew! He’s like a crazy lotion man.

Got-sta go, the fasten seatbelt sign just came on. It hasn’t deterred foot lotion man from globbing it on. He’s all the way up to his knees now. Yuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, did you drink a Sapporo whilst flying over Sapporo? ;)