The weather here is pretty cruddy. Japan is currently being swatted by the tail-end of Typhoon Kirogi (it means #20). It is by no means Hurricane Katrina, but it does make Tokyo seem rather drab and dreary, a lot like Grand Rapids :). I'm hoping for at least one day of sunshine during my stay. At the very least, it better not delay my plane trip back and turn it into a 32 hour flight (instead of 31 ;). It is kind of cool to say I'm in a typhoon though. Add an earthquake and a tsunami and it would make a perfect summer blockbuster. Or the new FOX special "When Mother Earth Attacks!"
I was in a meeting today negotiating advertising rates. I was the only one who couldn't speak Japanese. I'll let you listen in on the conversation:
ME: "Is this a Cost-per-click campaign?"
THEM: [Insert 5 minute answer in japanese with everyone talking and laughing]
ME: "What did they say?"
THEM: [In english] "Yes."
The japanese guys are really cool though. They don't get my slang, and I did have to explain what the word "ass" meant (as in "kick their ass"). They also did not understand when I asked "What the heck is that bird squaking outside the window?" (with me flapping my arms to indicate bird), but all in all it is going very well.
Speaking of birds, I talked to a bird today and fed him part of my chocolate chunk scone (he ate it right out of my hand). I'm glad I speak bird because he had a really dumb look on his beak when I started speaking in English. His name was Bernie, or at least that is what I thought he said his name was. Speaking of dumb looks, you should have seen me try to ask for an alarm clock at the front desk last night. It was like a game of Guesstures gone totally wrong. :)
They are taking me to play Pachinko tonight. Saki and Pachinko. Somebody call the U.S. Embassy!
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment