Monday, October 17, 2005

32,000 Feet above Polar Bear Country

The plane has this cool mapping system that lets you watch where we are on our flight path. As I type this, we are currently flying over Churchill, Canada which is on the northwest tip of the Hudson Bay.

I remember watching a documentary about Churchill. About this time each year, polar bears start migrating south and descend upon this town. In order for kids to go trick or treating on Halloween, one person stands at each corner of the block with a shotgun while the kids go by. You see, polar bears are the only animals on Earth that will intentionally seek out humans as their prey. You get swallowed by a crocodile and it was probably a pretty opportunistic croc. Polar bears will actually hunt humans and I’m sure a small child dressed as a seal or sea lion is an extra tasty Halloween treat. J

I just got done watching About a Boy with Hugh Grant. Good movie. 3/5 stars on the Joe “airline movie” scale. Not what I was expecting, but maybe that is good. It is one of those movies that I always pass by at the video store but never pick up.

International business-class travel is definitely a step up from coach. I can put my feet all the way out in front of me without hitting the person sitting in the row ahead. If I were in coach right now, I’d probably need an amputation. ;)

For lunch, I had Boursin stuffed Artichoke hearts (very good). I also took two bites of some raw salmon (bleck!) and shrimp. The main course consisted of Filet Mignon, red potatoes and black bottom pie. A little white wine mixed in and it made a decent dinner.

An observation: You know it is a long flight when they give you a toiletries kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, slippers, socks and earplugs.
Ok, Fantastic Four is on. Joe out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I move starring High Grant that I haven't seen... ;)